Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Hey, I'm not the only one in the Blogosphere that never learned how to win friends and influence people. Whilst perusing the sites of some of our co-conspirators I checked out this post from our pals at Circle City pundit.

http://circlecitypundit.blogspot.com/2008/02/hey-you-cant-please-everyone.html

Given that we pioneered the idea of "Fill-in-the-blank" Free Zones - we were the first News Alert Free Weblog - I was excited to see Brian make Circle City Pundit "A 2008 Andy Horning Free Zone" (even if he's undecided on 2009).

So, in an effort to show some solidarity and empathy with the CCP guys, I am declaring a "Horning Free Gonzo Posts Zone" and pledge the Gonzo Defenestrater posts will be 100% Andy Horning Free from here on out.

Power to the People!


On a sad note, our pals and fellow dumpster divers at Hoosier Access informed us that Conservative writer and thinker, William F. Buckley, Jr. has passed away. I remember reading God and Man at Yale as an undergraduate Political Science major. It formed my opinions early in my career and probably saved me from the clutches of a youthful embracing of liberalism.
Rest in Peace Mr. Buckley. Well done.

BULLETIN: Columnist William F. Buckley Jr. has died
Banner posted to MSNBC.com and announced on G. Gordon Liddy’s radio show (XM-166) that columnist William F. Buckley Jr. has died at age 82.
From Hoosier Access, Feb 27, 2008.

3 comments:

Jacob Perry said...

Holy Cow! Two posts back to back about little 'ole me? Nice to see I'm finally getting a return on those checks I've been writing ;).

Re: Jon Elrod. Look, we made a mistake by simply taking our surface view of Jon and using that to pound away at him. We made some rather insulting and derogatory comments about him, ones that in hindsight were a tad immature.

But give credit to Jon as well. He made the first effort to reach out to me, contacting me personally in December when I was enjoying the sun in Florida. He was very gracious and mature, and that made me re-think some positions I'd taken. He also sent an email (which I never published, it was a private conversation) explaining his positions and why he was running.

But after seeing him in action at the Caucus for the Special, I was really impressed. To have the courage to do what he did showed me that perhaps there was more to him than meets the eye.

I've always been of the belief that if one wants the freedom to express their opinions, then one must accept the responsibility of admitting when one is wrong. We were wrong about Jon, and we owed it to him to admit that.

Re: Horning. Unfortunately, Brian and I both have a history with him, mine is considerably longer. I admire his principles and his steadfastness, but I really get tired of the immature whining and condescending attitude he has towards anyone who isn't a zealot like him.

Frankly, he probably gets more play on our site than anywhere else. It's perhaps the last place where he remains relevant, and that is sad.

Brian Jessen said...

Wow, thanks for this.

I wrote the blog because all I was trying to do to start with was give Andy his 15 minutes this election.

Apparently, he doesnt subscribe to the "any press is better than no press" thought.

Dig your blog man! Keep up the great work!

Kristen Luidhardt said...

We've got a Slatecard profile for Jon setup for bloggers to donate to:

http://www.slatecard.com/candidates/647

or give via his website at www.jonelrod.com